The National Acupuncture Detoxification Association (NADA) ear acupuncture protocol utilises up to five ear points within the ear – shen men, sympathetic, kidney, liver, and lung.
The outer ear sends impulses to the brain, which stimulate the release of endorphins, lowers stress and induces relaxation.
ln the 1970’s the NADA protocol was developed to help addicts with their recovery dealing with trauma, anxiety, depression, irritability and cravings. Since then, the NADA protocol has been modified and found to be effective for a wide range of conditions including emotional, physical and psychological stress. The protocol involves applying very small acupuncture needles to 5 specific points in the ear.
The ear points:
· Sympathetic – calms the nervous systems and helps with overall relaxation.
· Shen Men / “Spirit Gate” – reduces anxiety and nervousness
· Kidney Point – for calming fears and healing internal organs
· Liver Point – for detoxification, blood purification and to quell aggression
· Lung Point – promotes oxygenation and aids relaxation
The Modified NADA protocol is also used in Western acupuncture adding in the heart and spleen points for further stimulation of the parasympathetic nervous system.
· Heart Point – regulates cardiovascular function
· Spleen point – facilitates digestion, promotes relaxation
As well as NADA protocol there are other protocols that can be used to help with insomnia, acute pain, hot flushes and more. If you are interested or feel this could help you please contact Jessica or ask at your appointment.